You’ve followed all mandatory safety guidelines but, despite your best efforts, your equipment still contacts an overhead power line. What do you do now?
- Immediately try to move the equipment clear, but only if you can do so safely.
- Tell others to stay away and not to approach or touch the equipment.
- Have someone immediately call 911 and the local electric utility.
- Stay on the equipment until utility workers say it is safe to get off.
If you must leave your equipment due to fire or other danger:
- Jump as far away as possible so you don’t touch the equipment and the ground at the same time.
- Land with your feet together.
- Shuffle away with your feet close together and on the ground, or hop away on two feet, keeping both feet together.
Once you’re clear of your equipment, don’t return for any reason until you are advised by electric utility workers that the area is safe.
Think you’ve got the basics covered? Find out in our upcoming email, “Basic Facts About Electricity.”
Is there anything specific you’d like covered in future emails? Click here and send us an email.